How Installing a Water Softener Helps Save You Money
Hard water is a common problem for millions of households. Not only does it affect the taste of your tap water, but the calcium and magnesium buildup can cause damage to appliances and stains in your laundry.
Water softeners provide the most efficient way to deal with this problem. Using ion exchange, a water softener system replaces the hard minerals with another chemical, such as sodium. The result is a cost-effective hard water treatment.
Along with helping to eliminate hard water, installing a water softener system may help save you money.
Prevent Damage to Plumbing and Appliances
One of the risks of hard water is damage to your plumbing fixtures and any appliances that are connected to your water supply. Pipes, water heaters, and washing machines can break down or wear quickly due to the hard minerals found in your water.
Over time, hard water can damage valves, seals, and washers. This may cause an appliance to stop working or result in leaky pipes.
Water softeners help to reduce these costly issues by preventing further mineral buildup. The softener may prevent the need to replace your appliance prematurely or pay for expensive appliance or plumbing repairs.
Improve the Efficiency of Your Water Heater
The buildup of hard minerals in your water heater can also limit the efficiency and lifespan of the heater.
As sediment and mineral buildup settles in the bottom of the water tank, the water heater becomes less efficient. This adds stress to the appliance, shortening the life of the heater and increasing wasted energy.
Softeners reduce the presence of scaly buildup in the water tank, improving the efficiency of the heater and preventing additional wear.
Increase the Effectiveness of Soap and Cleaners
Hard water limits the effectiveness of your household cleaning. It is more difficult to work up a good lather with soap and water if the water contains hard minerals. This may cause you to use more soap and household cleaners to get your cleaning done. You may even waste additional water with the extra cleaning.
Hard water can also cause stains. The calcium and magnesium content of the water can cause red or brownish stains in your sinks, toilets, tubs, and clothing. Additional cleaning to remove these stains forces you to waste even more water and soap.
These issues are eliminated when you install a water softener system. The water produced by the softener system allows you to get a good lather with your soap and avoid the hassle of stains on your clothing or plumbing fixtures.
How Do You Know if You Have Hard Water?
The most common signs of hard water include some of the issues discussed. You may notice stains in your sinks and bath fixtures. You may also experience dry, itchy skin or scalp. With severe mineral buildup, you may even notice a reduction in water pressure.
If you suspect that you have hard water, a water softener system is the best treatment. Softeners are effective and efficient, helping you save money in a variety of ways. You avoid wasted energy, water, and time. You also avoid unnecessary wear and tear on your plumbing and appliances.
- Walters RM, Anim-Danso E, Amato SM, Capone KA, Mack MC, Telofski LS, Mays DA. Hard water softening effect of a baby cleanser. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2016 Oct 11;9:339-345. eCollection 2016.
- Abeliotis K, Candan C, Amberg C, Ferri A, Osset M, Owens J, Stamminger R. Impact of water hardness on consumers’ perception of laundry washing result in five European countries. International Journal of Consumer Reeports. 2015; 39(1): 60-66. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12149
- Morales-Pinzón T, Lurueña R, Gabarrell X, Gasol CM, Rieradevall J. Financial and environmental modelling of water hardness–implications for utilising harvested rainwater in washing machines. Sci Total Environ. 2014 Feb 1;470-471:1257-71. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.10.101.
- Widdler SH, Baechler MC. Impacts of Water Quality on Residential Water Heating Equipment. US Department of Energy Website. Available from: https://www.pnnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-22921.pdf. Accessed on: August 12, 2018.
- Course Hero, Northeastern University. Saponification Lab. Available from: https://www.coursehero.com/file/p52403/2-Water-softener-is-important-in-increasing-the-effectiveness-of-soap-because/ Accessed on: August 12, 2018.
- ASPE – Association of Plumbing Engineers. 2003. Domestic Water Heating Design Manual. 21: Heat Pump Water Heaters. American Society of Plumbing Engineers, Rosemont, Illinois.